Saturday, 07 November 2020 18:52

Moreno prefers confirmatory tests over time-based discharge

Written by Stephen Capillas
Moreno prefers confirmatory tests over time-based discharge Screengrab photos by Stephen Capillas with NMMC infographic
While he has no problems with the Department of Health’s (DOH) time and symptoms based policy in the discharge of recovering COVID-19 patients, Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno prefers waiting for confirmatory negative test results.
 
‘We’ve been aware for sometime about the DOH time-based and symptoms based policy that allows the discharge of recovering patients but we are still adopting the conservative view on waiting for the conclusive test results and the certification from doctors showing that the patient is COVID-19 free,’ Mayor Moreno said during Friday noon’s (Nov. 6) press briefing.
 
Mayor Moreno said this as City Health Office (CHO) resident epidemiologist Dr. Teodulfo Joselito Retuya Jr. confirmed last week that their office sought DOH assistance for training barangay information officers and health personnel on risk communication in the dissemination of the time-based and symptoms-based strategy to the public.
 
The DOH time and symptoms-based strategy allows the discharge of patients without conducting secondary confirmatory tests so long as the patient completed 10 days of quarantine without incurring fever or any symptoms and he or she finishes the remaining four days of quarantine at home. ‘If the situation makes it necessary to adopt that strategy, then we’ll do that,’ Mayor Moreno said.
 
Mayor Moreno said adopting the DOH policy will also depend largely on the patient and his/her family. ‘But what we are after is the doctor’s certification that the patient tested negative for COVID-19 since that is conclusive proof. Yet the DOH is arguing that with the passage of time, asymptomatic to mild patients can fully recover and not infect others and they have scientific basis for that. That’s okay,’ Mayor Moreno said.